Sulphur Springs Baptist Church
In the Beginning:
The Sulphur Springs family of faith was organized as a church in October 1867 as a result of a revival meeting. There were 22 charter members of which Thomas B. Hudson and Alexander Lackey were selected as deacons and J.L. Davis as Church Clerk. The first church building was a small log structure occupying the site of the old Davis Hope. In 1885 it was decided to build a new church building, and it was completed in 1886 with free labor and materials, with the exception of the glass, nails, and other hardware.
The Growing Years:
In the 1930's and 40's Sunday School rooms were added and in 1953 the entire church building was turned around and bricked, with two additional wings for an increase of 16 rooms and 2 bathrooms.
As the church continued to grow, members saw the need of a parsonage in 1965, and in 1980 and 1985 land was obtained bringing the church property to 6.66 acres. To increase the community ministry of the church a Family Life Center was added in 1997. By 2005 the sanctuary was at capacity and the church family began to pray for direction. God answered prayer through Les Gregory who generously provided the majority of the funds to build a new sanctuary. The new facility was completed in 2008.
Where we're going:
The Mission of Sulphur Springs Baptist Church is to be a light house of hope in the Hiddenite Community, faithfully sharing the Good News of Jesus with those in need as we celebrate together through worship and praise. The church has many goals in order to achieve this mission. A few of the significant goals are: To ensure (as much as humanly possible) that we have 100% regenerate membership. To meet the needs of our families through a Deacon Family Ministry Plan. To equip members to grow spiritually as disciples of Christ. To encourage members to find and develop an area of ministry. To proclaim the Word of God in an uncompromising manner, and to offer opportunities for members to develop me